In 1980 an excavation discovered three buildings: two barrack blocks and one unidentified and complicated sequence of medieval layers in the south-east extension area.
A4 20 pages comb bound figures and tables
At various times between 1982 and 1985, the Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit undertook excavations in the area of the Old Bus Station in Paul Street Exeter in advance of the Harlequins shopping centre and multi-storey car park development.
A4 paper bound
ACCORD was an AHRC funded research project that took place from October 2013 to March 2015 and was a collaboration between the Digital Design Studio at the Glasgow School of Art, the University of Manchester, the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland and Archaeology Scotland. In the summer of 2014 the ACCORD project worked together with communities across Scotland to co-design and co-produce 3-Dimensional digital models of heritage places and monuments....
Curtis’s and Harvey Ltd Explosives Factory, Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, Medway: Archaeological Survey and Analysis of the Factory RemainsEnglish Heritage Research Department
A4 bound report
The Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society was founded in 1866. The Society first published its Transactions (TCWAAS) in 1874. Fifteen volumes were published up to 1900 and from then it became an annual publication. Each volume of TCWAAS contains a collection of edited papers on various topics relating to both the history and the archaeology of the area. From the first, the Society embraced Lancashire-over-Sands, despite the geographical focus of its name; so...
Historic building recording was undertaken by Cotswold Archaeology for CgMs Consulting on behalf of Persimmon Homes plc, at Plymstock Lime Kiln, Pomphlett, Plymouth, Devon. An English Heritage Level 3 record was carried out on the building prior to its demolition. The earliest OS mapping indicates the building was in existence by 1894 and labelled "old lime kiln", by 1907. Observations made during the site visit indicated that the building had been built in an old...
An archaeological evaluation was undertaken by Cotswold Archaeology during August and September 2013 at Tithe Barn Green (Monkerton), Devon. Forty-three trenches were excavated. Archaeological features encountered comprised ditches, pits, postholes and a metalled surface, generally dated to one of four broad periods; early prehistoric, Roman, medieval and post-medieval/modern.
An archaeological evaluation was undertaken by Cotswold Archaeology in January 2012 on Land at Tithebarn Green (Redhayes), near Exeter, Devon. Seventeen trenches were excavated. The evaluation identified a number of archaeological features throughout the proposed development area which generally correlated well with the results of a preceding geophysical survey. Archaeological features encountered comprised ditches, pits and postholes, generally dated to one of two broad periods; prehistoric and post-medieval/modern. Evidence of Neolithic activity was identified in...
An Archaeological Watching Brief at land to the rear of Bishop's Garage, the Orchard, Corbridge, Northumberland (OASIS ID: archaeol5-216641)Archaeological Research Services Ltd
An archaeological watching brief on the excavation works for foundation trenches associated with the construction of 4 new semi-detached dwellings. Identification of 12th-13th century pits and structures associated with use of the land as a medieval burgage plot
Excavations concluded early in 1989 in advance of road improvements around the Acorn Roundabout. Part of the stone Roman South Gate was uncovered and an earlier timber gate, associated with an earthen rampart. Earliest feature mid 1st-century legionary fortress Roman road and late 2nd century defensive earth bank on the line of the later Roman City Wall.
A small-scale trial excavation in late 1988 on site adjoining the ruined medieval St Loyes Chapel ahead of development locating the position of the missing north-western wall. The chapel itself was examined in September 1990 prior to structural repairs and repointing and removal of ivy showed that the south-east wall contained three narrow lancet windows with Beerstone frames and that the north-east wall contained no window but a small quatrefoil in the gable.
Outline drawings were made of the Cricklepit Mill standing buildings in 1989 prior to the demolition of Lower Mills. The leat channels and derelict mill wheel were also partially recorded at this period
Trial excavation trenches and fabric recording were undertaken in January and February 1990 at the southern corner of the Inner Ward of the Castle. The archaeological work took place in advance of remedial works at a point where several deep cracks had developed in the wall.
Excavations completed at the end of March 1990 by the Exeter Museums Archaeological field Unit ahead of development. The site lies on the inside of the City Wall in the area bounded by Western Way, Lower Coombe Street and Quay Hill. Investigation revealed a large Roman military compound contemporary with but separate to legionary fortress, evidence of late Saxon and early Norman cultivation with ridge and furrow and two 11th-12th century pits plus 17th -...
Late 1980s, excavation and documentary research on several sites close to the river ahead of housing developments. At one site, Haven Banks a large artificial channel was discovered probably built to divert water from the river so as to facilitate the construction of a new deep-water approach channel and wharf at Exeter Quay in 1698-1701. No files relating to this site have been deposited with the ADS.
A small trial excavation took place in the spring of 1988 on a disused allotment adjoining a proposed development site near the western edge of the floodplain of St Thomas.
Excavations by Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit between October and November 1988 in advance of road alterations at The Acorn Roundabout site (immediately outside the Roman and medieval South Gate and City Wall) centered at SX 92160 92250. Earliest features and finds include three Pre-Roman Pits and three small Bronze Age pottery sherds. Roman military post-holes were also discovered. Early medieval activity on the site consists of a pit (earliest feature), two ditches and a...
Various investigations were undertaken at the English Heritage property: Bowhill House, Dunsford Hill, Exeter, a medieval manor house, in the late 1980s and early 1990s. No files deposited with ADS.
Excavation undertaken between September 1987 and February 1988 outside the East Gate revealing a large Saxo-Norman ditch, medieval aquaducts and a Civil War defensive redoubt, positioned to block direct access through the East Gate.
In 1987-8, Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit excavated on the site of St Catherine's Almshouses and adjacent property in advance of re-consolidation and landscaping, revealing further the plan of the north-east range of the Roman house on the site and the structural sequence which preceded it.
Excavations on this site were undertaken in advance of development on a site in front of the City Wall on the eastern side of the South Gate, bounded to the south by Magdalen Street and Southerhay. Revealing multi-phase defensive features dating from the later Roman period to the Civil War. A potential early Roman well was also found.
In August 1986, the Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit excavated three small trenches against the wall of the Museum to allow engineers access to examine the museum building foundations following subsidence due to an underlying ditch and to examine the fill of this ditch. The excavation confirmed that the ditch formed part of the medieval - Norman - outer defences.